05 February 2006

Fargo Marathon Training - Week Two

Week one is officially under my belt today. Ran 19 miles last week on the treadmill and even today I can tell a difference in myself. Today when I got home from worship I had a headache and hadn't eaten anything since 6:30am, but I hit three miles in 31 minutes without working terribly hard to do it. It feels SO good to get my running legs back underneath me again! And we love having the treadmill, as it's so easy to work out when the weather is bad (January) or cold (this weekend has been in the single digits). Yes, I do run in the cold, but not just right now - I need to get back into better shape before I go back outside into the cold.

I had a headache because we ran out of coffee yesterday and I only had time for one cup at the church before everyone started arriving. I think I had an easier time quitting cigarettes than I would have if I tried to quit drinking coffee - I am hooked through the frigging bag on the stuff. Bought a new bag of Fair Trade beans from our mission trip kids this morning and made a pot after I was done running. The really cool thing is that it appears I can temporarily disable caffeine withdrawal headaches with running endorphins; my headache disappeared after 10 minutes on the treadmill and came back just as I poured my first cup.

I've also lost three pounds this week, according to the cheapo scale we keep in the bathroom. Hopefully that's a trend that will continue as well - it's nice to feel your jeans getting looser again. Just gotta ease up on the chocolate!

Anyhoo, that's the training update - three miles and stretch today. Now for the comfy chair, the Sunday paper, my cuppa joe and three hours of Super Bowl pregame. Then it's off into the cold, cold offseason - when do the golf courses open up again? :-)

Pax,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment