13 March 2006

'Sup?

So I realized I haven't really updated anything lately. Things are good. No need to bitch too much here tonight.

My training for the Fargo Marathon continues to go smoothly. Last Friday I ran 8 miles on the treadmill in our basement. The real achievement was Saturday, when I went for a 3 mile jog with a visiting friend of ours who is soon to be training for an Ironman event. We had a nice little jog and she only mentioned our slow pace once when we got back to house and spouses. So a shakeout after my longest workout yet wasn't too terribly slow for an experienced marathoner. Wasn't really quick, either, but hey, little victories count in this game. (J, if you're reading this, please be kind and don't comment...)

I'll do some serious roadwork this weekend in Nebraska. I'm going home to help my family with my grandparents' estate auction, but I've got my first real long distance run scheduled on Friday morning - ten miles. The nice thing is that I'll be able to do it on gravel roads - much easier on the knees.

I finished Post Captain last night. I'm not sure what I think of the Jack Aubrey novels. The stories are enjoyable, but I spend so much time translating the dialects and period terminology that they can be frustrating. Now I'm reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, a dying pastor's letter to his young son. Very interesting. Here's a quote I found painfully true:

"I get much more respect than I deserve. This seems harmless in most cases. People want to respect the pastor and I'm not going to interfere with that. But I've developed a great reputation for wisdom by ordering more books than I ever had time to read, and reading more books, by far, than I ever learned anything useful from, except, of course, that some very tedious gentlemen have written books. This is not a new insight, but the truth of it is something you have to experience to fully grasp."

So you can see why I might find this book enjoyable. It's nice to know one is not alone, even if the character with whom one is identifying is fictional.

One reason I haven't read as much this year as years past has been the number of movies we've watched. Sometimes it's amazing - and sometimes it's depressing - to look at the list we've run through this year. We watched the Oscars and got a whole list of more movies to watch, but at least these look marginally redeeming. I'm really looking forward to "Good Night, And Good Luck." That movie has intrigued me this year more than any other, even more than "Brokeback Mountain."

So, that's pretty much my life right now - books, movies, and, of course, ministry. I'm continually amazed at how much I'm coming to love the people of our congregation; they are dear friends to me now, even when we disagree. Life is good here in Barrett.

Pax,
Scott

2 comments:

  1. Hey-

    Hoping to switch to blogspot soon.

    I've given up on the marathon as I lost 2 vital weeks of training due to emotional fallout from recent events.

    But I AM now able to replace my tri bike at a killer price, courtesy of the bike manufacturer and the great local shop. So I'm looking forward to hitting the tri circuit.

    I would love to do an Ironman, but would time and financial constraints allow for that in sem? Training for that usually takes about 20 hours per week.

    I'm hoping to switch to blogspot before the tourney...

    OUT---
    Fuerst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you could or not. Actually, it's possible to do a lot of things during seminary, depending on what you're willing to give up to do them. :-) But 20 hours a week on top of classes, studying and probably a job would definitely be difficult.

    I need to spend more time swimming before I ever tri out your path. The biking would be a snap, and the running wouldn't be so bad, but I'm a terrible swimmer. Luckily, I live next to a lake - and I've promised myself that I will actually spend some time in it this summer!

    I love blogspot - it's easier to use, I think. I'll look for your new site!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete