13 April 2006

The Absent-minded Preacher

Here's a few moments in the mind of a preacher. Mind you, if you depend on thinking that your local pastor's got it all together, STOP READING RIGHT NOW.

Yesterday afternoon I'm just humming along the highway in Alexandria with a car full of food & supplies for tonight's Seder meal at our church. I've just pulled onto the highway heading for home when I notice that Bill* from Barrett has pulled in behind me - in my rearview mirror I can see him in his pickup. "Hmm," thinks I, "I wonder why Bill's in Alec today?" Thirty seconds later it hits me.

"Shit," thinks I, "Stevie* [Bill's son] had surgery this morning. You forgot, you moron."

I will offer no defense for this. I got the call Tuesday night that Stevie had broken his right elbow in a baseball game. I should have made myself enter it in my PalmPilot so as not to forget it. Alas, I did not - and now the surgery is likely finished. As I said before, "Shit."

I called Stevie's mom and apologized profusely for not stopping by the hospital as I had promised. I did get out to see Stevie at home today, apologizing yet again, and I don't think Stevie was too worked up. But it's frustrating when events that need planning crowd out the people who would just like you to stop by and say a prayer, maybe talk for a little while. Being the absent-minded preacher is cute when you give someone the wrong readings for Sunday because you're thinking two weeks ahead of yourself, but being the absent-minded preacher stops being cute real quick when you forget something genuinely important. Luckily this family was gracious, and hopefully the absent-minded preacher can learn from this. He is, after all, a fairly young absent-minded preacher and may not be too old for a few new tricks.

Pax,
Scott

*Bill & Stevie are real people - their names are not. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment