10 April 2006

Kudos to my man Phil

For the past few years I've followed the career of Phil Mickelson pretty close. When I started watching golf on Sundays a few years ago while I read the paper, it seemed like he was always right up there with the leaders and making some incredible shots along the way. When I actually started picking up clubs & playing, it was Phil that I thought of most often. I've even gone so far as to try and pattern my swing after his - nice long backswing, low center of gravity, weight on the back foot, power through the ball on the edge of my balance. (Predictably, I've been as wild off the tee as Phil can sometimes be.)

What really convinced me that Phil was worth following was an interview he had with Sports Illustrated a few years ago. The reporter asked him about the 'best player never to win a major' label, and Phil's response was: let's have some perspective - I play golf for a living. (that's just the gist of it - not a direct quote). He's a family guy and from what I can see a great example of what a professional sportsman should be: gentlemanly, courteous in defeat and gracious in victory.

Yesterday Phil won his second Master's Tournament. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Let me be the first to suggest this: if Phil wins the 'Tiger Slam' (winning all four majors in a row, but not in the same calendar year), we should re-name it: the Mickelslam. Got a nice ring to it, don't you think? :-)

Pax.

No comments:

Post a Comment