03 April 2006

Welcome back, Scotter (with apologies to J Revolta and the rest of Kotter's gang)

So I haven't posted in a LONG time. There are several reasons:

1. I didn't preach from March 12th until yesterday. On the 19th I was in Nebraska, helping my family with my Grandmother's estate auction. On the 26th I was in Winnipeg with about 600 others for the Northwestern Minnesota Synod Senior High Youth Gathering. Preaching regularly keeps me posting regularly, too - it's like taking FiberCon (don't ask how I know...)

2. We've had a really tough couple of weeks. My beloved has been sick, and we've both been working very hard at our respective churches. We've been dealing with some family issues, too - nothing to worry about, but not a lot of fun to endure, either.

3. I've let a lot of things drop lately. In fact, I realized the only thing I can say I've given up for Lent that's done me any good whatsoever is my annual NCAA Tournament bracket. With nothing riding on any of the games, I've been free to enjoy the tournament, even though I've hardly caught any of the games. It's been rather nice to watch all the upsets - George Mason was awesome!

So, anyway, it's been a while. Here's another update. Training for the marathon continues to go well. I had a minor setback in Nebraska - my first long run (10 miles) got shortened to six because it was in the mid 20s and really windy on that morning. But I went 13 miles on the treadmill on Saturday, and now that the weather is nicer and the shoulders are clear, I should be good to get back out and do some actual roadwork, which I desperately need to do. I feel good, though - my legs continue to get stronger, and even though I'm not losing inches around my waist like I thought I would, I'm sleeping better on my workout days and really enjoying the challenge. 46 days to go!

I'll probably finish A Generous Orthodoxy this afternoon or evening, and I'm excited to get to my next book. Not sure what I'll read, but I'm sure going to enjoy it.

The Twins opener is tomorrow night: guess what I'll be listening to while I finish up our taxes? That means yard work, mowing, and our new picnic table can't be too far behind. Put some solar lights along our sidewalk this weekend and started getting my shop out of hibernation mode - boy, did that ever feel good!

Speaking of openers, there are rumors our local golf courses will be opening this weekend, which leaves me with a huge dilemma: watch Phil Mickelson in the Masters or get out on the course myself?

And that's the latest from Barrett - ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment