09 May 2006

Marathon Update & other stuff

I'm now two weeks out from the marathon & feeling okay. I've struggled to get back into the swing of things after my last 20 miler - lots of joint pain and 'dead legs.' But this week things seem to be better, so I'm back to training again. Yesterday Kris & I went for an hour-long bike ride and really enjoyed it. The weather is so nice here right now - it's a shame that the whole year can't be like May and September!

I mentioned my toenail a few weeks ago - here's a picture I took at the time with my old SLR camera:
The nail has now fallen off, and I haven't had any more problems since I found some socks that fit me better. I'm finally starting to lose some weight, too - don't know why it's taken so long, but my clothes are fitting better and I'm not nearly as tired as I once was. Now it's a matter of getting plenty of sleep over the next few weeks to maximize my energy for the big run. Can't wait for the big day!

Friday was my birthday - can I really be 32? Seems impossible. Kris got me a round of golf at Tipsinah Mounds north of Elbow Lake - did I marry out of my station, or what? :-) She also bought us some salmon fillets and so on Friday night, after we walked a short nine holes at Red Rock Golf Course, we had grilled salmon, potatoes and I had some Chunky Monkey ice cream for dessert. After supper we had drinks with some friends and went to a dance at the Barrett Pavilion.

Unfortunately, we couldn't stay long at the dance because I had to be at our Synod Assembly at 8:00 on Saturday morning. I am a member of our worship planning team and also led the liturgy at the Saturday morning worship service. It was a nice service, led by two fantastic musicians from Alexandria. Thankfully, Assembly was much less frustrating this year: we accomplished our business and went home quickly. The only disappointing part were our speakers - both the Bible Study and the keynote were less than I had hoped they would be.

Our cats have been entertaining us lately. Reggie has developed a habit of following Kris around, waiting for her to play with him. He's becoming quite the hunter, also. The other day while I was home writing my sermon, a squirrel decided to try and get to our birdfeeder on the front porch, by way of the window screen. Of course, this attracted Reggie's attention:As you can see, life is kinda nutty around here. :-)

Pax,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment