29 May 2006

Vacation, Teaching & an Apology

We're leaving in a few minutes for a trip to the North Shore - YAY! Camping is such fun, and it will be good to take some time off.

Over the next two months, I won't be 'preaching' on Sundays. Since the ELCA has chosen to develop a new worship resource, we'll be doing a worship study called With the Whole Church on Sunday mornings. You can find information about it at the Renewing Worship website.

I'll still post something every Sunday related to our conversation, but it won't be the sermons some of you are used to seeing. At the end of July we'll be back into a 'regular' worship & preaching schedule.

I do want to issue a slight apology for yesterday's sermon. I hope I didn't offend anyone who is a member of the Roman Catholic church, as I do have a great deal of respect for them. In talking about my frustrations with our differences, I neglected to mention the other thought I had at our meeting in Moorhead: how far the RC church has moved to even consider these conversations with American Lutherans. It's a pretty impressive thing for the RC church to be willing to set aside a few thousand years of tradition to consider how we are indeed united in Christ, and I don't mean to belittle that in any way at all. I may disagree with a few doctrines, and I certainly don't agree with the RC church regarding the ordination of women, but what unites us is Christ and Christ alone, and I do rejoice in that unity and I do appreciate the work that many Roman Catholics do in order to make Christ known for the sake of the world.

Peace!
Scott

5 comments:

  1. Scott-

    Got to you via brother jj's blog. Glad to see you are doing well, not a surprise. Enjoy the camping. We seem to be doing less of that these days and miss it. Not as realistic with a 6.5 mo. old child!

    I enjoyed perusing your blog (with the exception of the toe pics! :)). Hope all is well with you and your family. Had the opportunity to visit with you folks a few months back. Enjoyed the visit at great deal.

    Did you know that we need good pastors in Nebraska? Just a thought...:).

    Wango Tango!
    (Is this Ted Nugent speak for "peace and joy"? Can't remember...)

    Dave Fuerst

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing your congregation's response to With the Whole Church.
    I've led it twice in the past year to varying degrees, and think that as a resource to get people thinking it's pretty good; I'm currently facilitating the conversation with our Worship/Music committee/team and find their responses fascinating.
    Great idea to do it during worship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two months of not preaching.
    What do you mean? Camping on the North Shore? What are you rtrying to domakeus RevGals mad at you? Just kidding. Hope its a great time, and you have good discussions with the church. I had found and looked at the site, looked pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone on his synod's committee who will be helping introduce the new worship resource to the synod, I look forward to some conversations together...especially since I get back from 3 days of indoctrination...um, I mean training...in Chicago the day before Karin and I come to visit! (did I really just say "indoctrination?" I REALLY need to work on controlling my interior monologue!!)

    In all honesty and seriousness though, from all preliminary signs, I'm pretty impressed with the new hymnal.

    This is Matt, by the way, stalking your blog anonymously...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave: good to hear from you! We did enjoy camping very much - beautiful weather and good hiking. Coker sent me a newsletter from an Omaha church looking for a new associate. Suffice it to say we're happy here and won't be moving anytime soon. :-) But I haven't forgotten my roots, either, and I do miss being close to family.

    Matt: I, too, think the new worship resource is going to be very good. At the least, it's got LOTS of content. Glad you're one of the ones going to Chicago for reNEDucation. :-) The best thing about interior monolgues is being able to converse with the smartest person in the room...

    And no, I'm not trying to anger the RevGals - hell hath no fury like a woman pastor scorned, right? :-P

    ReplyDelete