05 June 2006

A final thought on The Not-So-Disturbing Da Vinci Code

On Saturday afternoon, Kris and I went to Alexandria to see The Da Vinci Code. I'm mentioning this here because of what happened in church yesterday morning. Nothing happened. I have not lost my faith in the virgin birth, the many healings attributed to Jesus, the resurrection or the church, tarnished though her history may be. I saw a movie and was able to refrain from either a) setting off on a quest to deconstruct the facades the church has built to maintain her power over the years or b) deciding it's all a sham and withdrawing from any type of organized religion completely. Guess I must be doing something right, huh?

Honestly, I did think of the movie as I was speaking the words of institution yesterday morning before communion. You'd be surprised sometimes if you could hear the thoughts that pass through a pastor's mind sometimes, even in the most sacramental times. As I held the cup and said, "this cup is the new testament in My blood, shed for you for the forgiveness of sins," I did think about the movie. "Huh," thinks I, "I still believe that this is the truth, even though I can't prove a word of it." And off we went to share in the holy meal of Christ along with billions of our family around the world.

I believe that blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, there are things people can say about God that make my blood boil, but if the God in whom I believe is truly the Creator of all that exists, how is God ever going to actually be harmed by anything we might say? As has already been noted in this blog, people can say all kinds of stuff, but that doesn't make any of it true, and untruth certainly can't harm us if we see it for what it really is.

Here we have two books: the Bible and The Da Vinci Code. One is a fictional bestseller that has captured the minds of millions around the world: the other has been on publisher's lists for 1700 years in one form or another, and the story it contains has changed the lives of untold billions for almost 2000 years. Personally, one was a book that captured my attention for the five hours it took to drive to the Twin Cities & back one weekend while my wife and I were still courting; the other has claimed my life, challenges me when I am comfortable, comforts me when I am afflicted, and reminds me that I am actually part of a story that is still being written by its Author. Which one should have more power over the other? If anyone's faith is threatened by The Da Vinci Code, then I would argue that the problem lies in weak faith, not blasphemous writing, and I would suggest the threatened person use their experience as an opportunity to grow into a mature, discerning Christian who has the ability to bear the burden of actually thinking about what she or he believes.

Scott

PS: It was a good movie, by the way. But if you're looking for unbelievable stuff, the thought that two people in a Smart car can outrun Paris police in reverse ought to suffice, shouldn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Actually, see Bond or "The Transporter" for far greater chase scenes. The whole evasion in reverse thing was done in "For Your Eyes Only" when "The Man With One Red Shoe" was still just a dream.

    I agree and disagree that blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder. It is true that we become concerned with labels and throw them around on everything that makes us uncomfortable or challenges our image of God or idolatry. However, perhaps blasphemy is an affront to God? Or is it a sin against the Holy Spirit? I don't know. What's the origin of the word? I'm not sure, but it seems like something that ought not be made relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think SUPPORTING outright blasphemy is a sin against the Holy Spirit. So I don't support artists whose only purpose seems to be attacking God, the church, what have you. For me it's a matter of discernment.

    I don't think Mr. Brown was trying to be blasphemous - I think he was perhaps challenging the institutional church. I haven't the faintest idea how much of what he purports as 'fact' he actually believes, and I don't really care. I don't believe what he writes is true. I don't think THE DA VINCI CODE was the best book I've read - it's got a LONG way to go to even be on the level of Stephen King, IMHO.

    Stomping out every form of expression that challenges, questions or even simply irritates my faith is NOT THE ANSWER, and I know we both agree on that. This is the point I was trying to make.

    ReplyDelete