10 June 2006

Musical Fun in Barrett

Every summer the Prairie Wind Players, our community theater in Barrett, puts on a musical for the weekend of our summer festival. This summer I'm playing guitar in the pit band for "The Spitfire Grill," and am I ever having a good time doing it!

I've enjoyed the musicals PWP has put on the past few years, but never felt really drawn to participate until this year. I actually auditioned for a part, but wound up strumming instead. The summer musical and my brother-in-law's wedding are two events that made me think it was time to finally upgrade to a new guitar, which I did last week in Duluth. It's been great breaking in a new instrument and hearing how much my playing improves with the right kind of motivation and the structure of playing in a band again. I've really enjoyed it.

I'm discovering over the past year that I don't get motivated without a goal. Ever since the marathon, I've really had to push myself to run. This morning I just decided I needed to find another race, because I'm tired of self-rationalizing out of workouts that I know are good for me. And dammit, I would like to keep the same wardrobe for more than a couple of years, without yo-yoing back & forth between sizes! Anyway, I'll be posting my next race here shortly. If we're in town, I'm hoping to run the Flekkefest 5K in Elbow Lake in August. If that doesn't work, I'll find something else. I need to find something to run towards!

If you're in west central Minnesota the weekends of June 23-25 or June 29-July 1, you should come see "The Spitfire Grill" at Roosevelt Hall in Barrett - it's going to be a great show!

Scott

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. If I don't have the race to look forward to, I never get out there.

    One piece of advice: shoot for a 10K. After your marathon, a 5K may seem a useless endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - but this local 5K is the only race I know is going in my area any time soon. Plus I'd like to do some speedwork, though of course that's an option with any race.

    Haven't had time to search for more races this week, but will do so on Friday. At least knowing I'm planning on another race is getting my ass on the treadmill again.

    ReplyDelete