10 July 2006

100 Books - 100-96

A friend of mine is doing a list of 100 things about her. I wasn't really into that, but I thought that maybe a list of 100 books I've read and a thought about each might be okay. Obviously one can't do 100 all at once, so I'll do it five at a time, once each day, for the next 100 days. Series books only count as one, unless they don't. I'll be going backwards through the order in which I've read, more or less. Here goes.

100. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
I'm reading this series through again. Right now I'm on book 5: The Fires of Heaven. When Captive Free came to Barrett back in April one of the girls was reading book 1, The Eye of the World, and it got my interest piqued again. I enjoy the series quite a bit, even if it does get a bit predictable after a while.

99. Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan. Okay, simply put, this was one of the funniest, most touching books I've read. Grogan is a great writer and dog lovers like me will find themselves crying just a bit a couple of times. Great read.

98. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Robinson's second novel is a wonderful story of an aging, dying pastor, told through letters to his seven year-old son. Moving and peaceful all the way through.

97. A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Methodist, Catholic, Green, Incarnational, Depressed-yet-Hopeful, Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN by Brian McLaren. This one is a bit of a stretch: I haven't actually finished it yet. But it's good, and I should finish it this week. McLaren identifies many aspects of a new orthodoxy that focuses on the proclamation of the gospel and the transformation of lives rather than narrowly defining who's in and who's out in the church. A thought-provoking book that I heartily recommend to anyone even remotely connected with the church of Christ.

96. Cell by Stephen King. I'm a huge Stephen King fan. This book is both good and not so good. It's formulaic. The central plot is a retread of other 'unexplained alien forces take over the world and bring about the apocalypse' King works. But there's some original stuff, too, and the book is much more lean than many other King novels. I enjoyed it, but it read a lot like a shorter, more vicious version of The Tommyknockers.

1 comment:

  1. Scotty, I think only you would do an annotated bibliography for fun! ;)

    It might be easier than the straight-up 100 things, though. That's taking forever to do.

    ReplyDelete