14 July 2006

100 Books - 95-91

The list continues. Incidentally, this is going to be MUCH harder than I thought. I can barely remember the last 10 books I read, not to mention the last 100.

95. American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Another cheater - I listened to this book while running over the last month or so. But I read it about five years ago. It's a great story told by an expatriate Brit who now lives and writes somewhere in Minnesota (Cities, I think?). America, it seems, is a tough place for gods to thrive - and one of them is trying to help the old gods survive an onslaught of new gods. Interesting reading for me.

94. The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel. I think I blogged about this some time back. A story about small town people, ministry, and lots of other things, including a young minister. Can't seem to think why I might like something like that...

93. Black House by Stephen King & Peter Straub. The sequel to their earlier collaboration The Talisman, Black House is both more mature and less innocent. Jack Sawyer has grown up and forgotten much of his past, but a boy in trouble and a house with a dark secret are going to make him remember.

92. The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper. This is the title of both a five-book sequence and one of the books within the sequence. I read The Grey King in fourth grade when we were reading Newberry Award winners and I was HOOKED. 20 years later I still like picking this one up every few years and reading it through. It's a story of good vs. evil, obviously, but Arthurian legend and modern life get mixed together in a thoroughly gripping manner. These are stories I'll read to our kids.

91. The Gospel According to Tolkien by Ralph C. Wood. Kris gave me this for Christmas - what a neat gift! It actually piqued my interest in delving deeper into the mythopoeic stuff (one might wonder how I needed MORE motivation to read Tolkien), but unfortunately I haven't followed through on that just yet. Too busy reading other stuff I guess. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment