09 July 2007

100 Books

55: The Once and Future King by T.H. White


Good golly, it's been a while since I've done a book post. I read The Once & Future King back in March, I think. Anyway, this was my second time through T.H. White's classic and I enjoyed it greatly.

Those of you who are familiar with The Sword In the Stone should know that TO&FK is the continuation of that story. White's tale is done from a somewhat modernist perspective; he includes commentary on Le Morte d'Arthur at times and seems to be moving in and out of time as he writes. But what drives this tale of Arthur is the humanity White reveals in the principal characters. They are believable heroes, gripped by doubt, misunderstanding and conflict, both within and without. White also sprinkles a generous dollop of humour throughout the tale, up to and including the tragic conclusion.

Since it's been such a while since I read this, I'm going to stop there, with an admonition to read this book if you're at all interested in British literature of the Arthur Mythology.

1 comment:

  1. Last time I was on a plane the guy next to me was reading this book!
    Good luck with the training... HubHC is a marathoner. The humidity is making his current training less than a good time - but he's consistent nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete