12 February 2007

100 Books

56: Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

With the movie just having been released, I wanted to return to this classic, mainly to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me when I watched the previews from the new movie. I don't know about the movie - haven't seen it yet and I probably won't until the movie is released on DVD. But Beloved said that the Barnes & Noble gift card we received from a friend for "baby books" could be used for a children's book if I wanted.

So it was Bridge To Terabithia, a Newberry award winner that I read years ago in school. It was as good as I remember. A young boy who doesn't quite fit in his family or in his school becomes great friends with the new girl, who just happens to introduce herself to him by whipping his butt in the first recess race of the year.

I can't say more than that without spoiling the story, but even though this book was written for children, it's a wonderful, poignant story that I enjoyed very much as an adult reader. It's like the Inheritance or Harry Potter books - good writing is good writing no matter who the intended readers may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment