17 April 2007

Why? Because It's Us

What happened yesterday in Blacksburg is beyond description - a day that was beyond tragic for many, and more pain and sorrow will come. Words can't describe what has happened, and these wounds will only heal with much time, work and faith.

One comment that immediately got me furious, however, was this, from a national media source: "How could this tragedy happen in this small, peaceful community?"

Let's make one thing absolutely clear: this happened because we are human, in bondage to sin, and no community or society will ever be free from such things. Yes, the horror is great, but none of us has the right to think, "I'm so glad that could never happen here."

Why?
Because it could.
Because it will.
Because it's us.

Whoever he was, let us not fool ourselves into thinking he was a shooter who somehow became something you and I are not. This was a person. Living & breathing. Child of God gone horribly, tragically, senselessly astray into violence. But still a human being.

Just.
Like.
Us.

God, keep us ever mindful that we are not disconnected, that the sins of one are the sins of us all. Send your Holy Spirit to comfort all who have been affected by this devastating tragedy, and where we can be your hands and feet, show us the way.

1 comment:

  1. The question shouldn't be, "How could this tragedy happen in this small, peaceful community?" but rather, "Why doesn't this happen more often?"

    For lots of reasons I think we are a society just living on the edge.

    Prayers for all the victims, living and dead.

    On a lighter note . . . Came here because of your comment on my blog. I've been driving a stick for so long that on those rare occassions when I do drive an automatic I will instinctively use my left foot looking for the clutch. Normally this isn't a big deal and nobody notices -- but there have been a few times when the brake pedal was much larger than what I'm used to, and my left foot has come down on the brake with clutch-type force.

    Thank God for seatbelts!

    ReplyDelete