18 May 2007

Friday Five: Big Event Edition

Did you know that the major purpose for forming a non-profit, RevGalBlogPals, Inc., was to be able to attract grant support for a large scale RevGalBlogPal meetup? My dream from the beginning has been attracting financial support that would allow as many of our bloggers to be together as possible.

RGBP, Inc. now has a planning committee, and we are in the early stages of planning the RevGalBlogPal Big Event. What, When, Where and Who are all on the table at the moment. In that spirit, I bring you the Big Event Friday Five.

1. What would the meeting be like? (Continuing Ed? Retreat? Outside Speakers? Interest Groups? Workshops? Hot Stone Massages? Pedicures? Glorified Slumber Party?)
Well, I'm always up for a retreat, with a speaker or three and a lot of time for re-creation (hyphenated on purpose).

2. When in 2008 might you be able to attend? January? Shortly after Easter? Summer? Fall? Some other time?
January is always a good time to get away, but I never seem to take advantage of it. I hope to get a con ed or retreat trip in during January 2008.

3. Where would your dream meeting location be? (Urban Hotel? Rural Retreat Center? New England Camp? Southwestern Fantasy Hotel? Far away from civilization? Nearby Outlets or Really Great Thrift Stores?)
I'm going to display a little favoritism here and suggest Carol Joy Holling Conference & Retreat Center in Ashland, NE. I worked at CJH as a summer camp counselor during college and I think it's one of the best retreat options around. Ashland is halfway between Omaha & Lincoln, a 30-45 minute drive from each airport, and it's centrally located so no one from east, west, north or south has to travel a terribly great distance. But as I said, I'm biased - so don't take my word for it, check it out for yourselves.

4. Who would make a great keynote speaker? (That's if #1 leads us in that direction.)
I would suggest Susan Briehl or Gordon Atkinson (aka Real Live Preacher). Susan is currently an affiliative professor of art and ministry at Wartburg Seminary in Dubuque, IA. She spoke at our synod's pastors' conference in 2005 and blew us away - she's awesome! Gordon, of course, is well known to many of you, and I'd think he would love to be part of something like this.

5. Did I leave out something you want to suggest?
Not really - as one who's a "pal," not a "gal," this is your conference to plan, not mine. But I hope wherever y'all go you enjoy it!

Dream big for the Big Event!!!

6 comments:

  1. CJH LOOKS GREAT- hmm I am more and more tempted to save big for this and fly across the pond- wonder if my family will object to starvation rations???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey reverend Scott ... not bad suggestions ... I wouldn't mind meeting Real Live Preacher...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope Pals will feel included, too, Scott. Although maybe minus the pedicures...
    Though, come to think of it, Shrek gets one in the new movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would agree with CJH (thought I might be biased), and with Susan Briehl (I developed a bit of a teacher crush on her my last year at sem).
    Good answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were part of the ring. And as such you are part of the planning and get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark - there were a lot of us with teacher crushes after our session in September of 05. I was one of them.

    Abi & Songbird - thanks for making us pals feel welcome!

    ReplyDelete