11 May 2007

Friday Five: Potato, Po-Tah-To Edition

From ReverendMother over at RevGalBlogPals: There are two types of people in the world, morning people and night owls. Or Red Sox fans and Yankees fans. Or boxers and briefs. Or people who divide the world into two types of people and those who don't. Let your preferences be known here. And if you're feeling verbose, defend your choices!
1. Mac? (woo-hoo!) or PC? (boo!)
Why yes, the Friday Five author reserves the right to editorialize!
*sigh* I want to be a Mac person. I really do. But I'm terrified to take the plunge. The last time we needed a new computer we went with the safe route and decided, "Dude, you're getting a Dell." It's a decent laptop - actually, it's been a really good laptop. But it's not an Apple, and becoming an iPod user hasn't made my desire any easier to allay, nor have the funny series of commercials starring the guy who played Warren on Ed.

2. Pizza: Chicago style luscious hearty goodness, or New York floppy and flaccid?
Umm, couldn't I file this under my favorite "either/or"? I mean, it's PIZZA, facryinoutloud. I suppose if a choice were required, I'd go with the deepest deep dish you could imagine, but "fold & feast" is also good. Plus, the simplicity of the New York style can be really tasty.

3. Brownies/fudge containing nuts:
a) Good. I like the variation in texture.
b) An abomination unto the Lord. The nuts take up valuable chocolate space.
[or a response of your choosing]
Again, what's not to like? Chocolate? Good. Nuts? Good. Ice cream? Good (sorry, I need a little ice cream when I have chocolate).

4. Do you hang your toilet paper so that the "tail" hangs flush with the wall, or over the top of the roll like normal people do?
Amen: preach it, sister! It might seem as if either option is equally valid, but we all know that God intends for us to hang the toilet paper over the top.

5. Toothpaste: Do you squeeze the tube wantonly in the middle, or squeeze from the bottom and flatten as you go just like the tube instructs?
Oh, Mylanta, you've touched a nerve here. I am a dedicated bottom squeezer (quiet, you), while my Beloved is a wanton middle squeezer. We use different tubes because Beloved also requires sensitive toothpaste, while I could use battery acid if I needed. So every couple of days her tube looks like one of the dumbbells in our basement: fat on the ends and skinny in the middle. At that point I must repair the damage my wife is doing to her toothpaste and my sense of order and decorum. She's walked into the bathroom many times in the four years of our marriage to find me flattening her toothpaste tube and muttering vague imprecations under my breath. The same goes for EVERY TUBE OF OINTMENT AND/OR UNGUENT IN OUR MEDICINE CABINET. Such is life with a hopeless anal retentive like myself.

Another funny story: my ex-wife trained me to put the toilet seat AND lid down when finished with my business. Now I live with a woman who steadfastly refuses to put down the lid, and it bugs the hell out of me. She also refuses to close cabinet doors after opening them and enjoys leaving her dresser drawers an inch or so from completely closed, preferably with a pair of sweats bunched up in the gap. Help, please!

Bonus: Share your favorite either/or.
Hmmm - there are lots of music acts that are similar and enjoyable. For example:
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton (I know, their playing styles are worlds apart, but they are both consummate bluesmen and fun to hear)
Harry Connick, Jr. and Michael Buble
Jars of Clay and PFR
Steve Miller Band and Bachmann Turner Overdrive
Neil Young and Bob Dylan (both legends, both guitar-driven, see above)
Billy Joel and Elton John (sorry, LutheranHusker - they're both great!)
There is, however, only one Storyhill.

Others:
Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhees
Sam Keller and Joe Ganz (Husker fans will understand)
Gustav Mahler and Dmitri Shostakovich
Charles Dickens and Victor Hugo
Mike Yaconelli and Rob Bell

By the way, it is obvious to me that the world is better when I can watch the sun rise, the Red Sox are God's chosen team, the Yankees are excess and vulgarity incarnate, my boys need space to roam and anyone who feels otherwise should be cast into the outer darkness. For an afternoon or so. :-)

5 comments:

  1. She'll start putting down the lid when AJ is about a year old and she can't keep the little bugger from playing in the toilet....:) That's my prediction anyway.
    (By the way, Mark also has the cabinet door/closet door/dresser drawer problem. I feel your pain!)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Ed and my goodness how Warren grew but he still needs a good shave. Anyhoo... Stevie Ray or Clapton? egads! who could ever choose??? But truly as a squeeze the tube in the middle person, any surprise that I'd choose to belt along to Stevie Ray while speeding down the highway? oh wait that's the caffeine again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do leave the cupboards open and i drives Hubby mad. I'm short adn they never whack me in the head. I think maybe we don't need those doors, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday, from a fellow anal-retentive sort, who also feels compelled to fix all the toothpaste and other tubes in the house from the depredations of her wanton family. :-)

    Hedwyg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re your #4: Sacrilege!!!!!!

    And on getting aggravated over the toilet seat and open drawers and cupboards thing......just remember why the ex is the ex and the now is the now.....Might help. Might not.

    And was THAT the guy from Ed? He has grown up. I miss Ed too. Julie's not as good on Boston Legal.

    ReplyDelete