10 May 2007

Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)

We were driving back to Minnesota the other night when the song "Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)" by Billy Joel came up on my iPod. The sun was setting over a lake to our left as I drove through beautiful Minnesota valleys. I looked in the rearview mirror and my wife and daughter were asleep in the backseat, confidently trusting in my ability to get them home safely. I damn near burst into tears, the moment was so powerful.

I remember hearing this song years ago and wanting to remember it for my child, should I ever be lucky enough to have one. Now that I do, the blessedness of it is even greater than I had ever imagined.

Here is the video of this song at YouTube. The lyrics follow.

"Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)"
Billy Joel

Goodnight, my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep
Inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry
And if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me
Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabyes go on and on...
They never die
That's how you
And I
Will be

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott - take a listen to the cover of this song that my friends did :)

    You have an precious daughter - enjoy every moment!

    Andrea (Cori's partner in crime)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at the moments in life which God uses to show me how precious my children are. He seems to know just how to set everything up ... as evidenced by your story.

    May God give you even more of these moments in your life.

    ReplyDelete