23 July 2007

Accio New Reading Material!

Well, at long last I'm done with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Wait - I bought it on Saturday and finished it this morning. That's not really "at long last," is it? Anyway, fear not, no spoilers here, just admiration for a splendid final 300 pages. I was worried sick about halfway through, when the story didn't seem to be GOING ANYWHERE for a few chapters, but as usual, the final act was a real barnburner.

Now it's time for the next book, which is One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters To Those Seeking God. After hearing about the U2charist I decided it was time to start looking seriously at these blokes and figure out just what drives this spiritual aspect of their music and how it impacts their fans. I'm a fan, but not for the spiritual aspect of their work - I love Bono's voice and I think they've done some of the most passionate, original music of the past 30 years. I'll report later on what I think.

3 comments:

  1. I finally started a new book today, it took me a bit to come down from the HP high.

    Also (I confess), I'm already longing to reread it, but my husband gets dibs next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please blog about what you think of One Step Closer; I haven't seen it in a bookstore to thumb through, and am wondering if it adds to the already copious books on U2 and faith.

    And I'm glad to hear that the U2charist has prompted some potentially fruitful reflections. I must say that when I started it I had no idea of how far or fast it would spread!

    Blessings to you in your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do, Sarah - and you should know that you've "made it": the U2Charist was lampooned in the Wittenburg Door's latest issue. :-) Check it out: http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/current_issue.html

    ReplyDelete