11 October 2007

It's Way Too Early To Be Thinking This Much...

But it's 7:00 and this is the only time I'll have to check email and blogwander today, so I did. And I'm glad I did, because Ross had some excellent thoughts on the relevance of grace to Joe and Jane Average today.

I'm reminded of what my seminary professors told me: "They won't care how much you know until they know how much you care." While this is definitely true, if it is ONLY true for the pastor of a congregation, you've got a recipe for disaster. NO ONE can be the emotional linchpin for a congregation, especially not the pastor; it's just impossible for one person to carry that emotional burden. But if everyone in a congregation sees the well-being of the world around them as their duty and their joy, then we can begin to make grace relevant in ways the world might have never imagined.

As I said, it's way too early to be thinking this much. I need to stretch and get going for my run. But here I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment