03 December 2007

Brainy Stuff


Every once in a while you read (or, in this case, listen to) a book that stimulates your mind in a new and exciting way. This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession did that for me over the past few weeks. I've been listening to it on my iPod while driving/running on the treadmill, and it's been fascinating. One thought in particular continues to amaze me: according to author Daniel Levitin, as well as many other researchers, infants have no frame of reference by which to sort their sensory experience, so things tend to cross over into other sensory areas. Thus, a G major chord might taste like chocolate, or the opening of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik might smell like a freshly-baked apple pie. No wonder I've always loved music - it reminds me of food!

In seriousness, the book was fascinating on many levels. Levitin has a broad, but detailed, grasp of music both modern and classical, and the book, though abridged, stimulated my own mind as I listened to him explain what the most recent brain research tells us about the impact of music on the human mind. If you're a music lover, or especially a music teacher (that's you, Bode!), you might want to check this book out.

I'm walking a fine line with brain stimulation these days. With the move and everything that goes with it weighing on us at the present, there are times when "one more thing to think about" is "one more thing to think about" too many. But I've noticed that the periods when I try to unplug from everything are the periods when my mental and physical health are at their lowest. There's a relationship there somewhere, I'm sure. I need to be stimulated, physically, mentally, spiritually and socially, and this time of year is, unfortunately, a time of year when it becomes much easier to say no to all of it.


Then, of course, there are those around me who remain adamantly opposed to thinking at all. You've heard the furor surrounding the movie version of The Golden Compass, which is in theaters now. Supposedly, author Philip Pullman is trying to kill God and people shouldn't go see the movie. The problems with this email campaign come from so many different sources. First, as with The DaVinci Code, you must remember where one finds the book in question in the first place: the FICTION section of your local bookstore or library. Second, in The Golden Compass the fictional "church" really is corrupt and could do with a bit of opposition - much like the real church has been at many instances throughout its history. Third, an email campaign in opposition to a movie for the sake of our children will only guarantee one thing: our kids will want to see what's causing all the fuss. Finally, when we take the role of absolute moral authority in such matters upon ourselves, it rings presumptuous at best and hypocritical at worst to a world that is tired of the church passing judgment on everything except itself. How, exactly, is condemning a movie sight unseen supposed to reveal the presence of God in our midst? I'll be honest: I'm far more offended by the self-righteous, hysterical and unreasonable fear within the church than I am by the questions posed by an author who admits to agnosticism honestly. Histrionics accomplish nothing for the sake of the gospel - but an open, loving conversation with one who doubts might just prove beneficial for both parties. Can we not agree that the ability to think critically about our faith and the world around us, to be challenged and meet that challenge without fear or violence, says far better things about God and our faith communities than email campaigns and picket signs against movies and books?

Just to be safe, I did spend the last few weeks reading The Golden Compass again in order to answer any questions folks might have. I enjoyed it immensely, as I did the first time. This is just good writing, period, and there's nothing for the honest, THINKING Christian to fear from Pullman's writing or the movie in question. If your kids ask questions, well, one could always do the risky thing and actually answer them - or consult your local clergyperson if the issue gets too deep. We are, after all, available Monday-Saturday in addition to Sunday. :-)

Well, that might be enough thinking for this morning. It's snowing again and I have meetings to get to today - my final Runestone Conference Pastors' meeting is this morning. Plus I need to get a new battery for Kristin's car. Blessings, all!

Pax,
Scott

5 comments:

  1. My kids have all loved "The Golden Compass," and I am reading it myself now, having somehow missed out on it. It's engaging. Why are we so afraid of ideas? (Well, not you and me, personally, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished the Golden Compass here too. Really don't see what all the fuss is about--you're right, the church IN THE BOOK is corrupt and needs fixing. In a fictional book. And the church does need to examine itself from time to time. Sheesh. All they do is help sell more books. I enjoyed the book and plan to see the movie, although they'll probably destroy it like Eragon . . .sigh. Nothing irritates an English teacher more than people who cry "censorship" who really don't know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have heard great things about the music book by others. It's amazing how much better students can learn when/if they learn it with music. You've just created more work for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two more books to add to my list of "want to read" after my seminary list of "have to read" is fulfilled.

    I like the new Advent blue by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt - not to mention that censoring something is the best way to make sure kids will get their hands on it and read it. Maybe we should try censoring the Bible? :-)

    Brian - did I ever give you the 60 bpm classical stuff you asked about? I seem to remember you wanted something like that.

    David - I'm thinking of doing a liturgical color match this year - though I might have to play with some different greens throughout Pentecost. :-)

    ReplyDelete