16 January 2008

Getting My Feet Under Me

I just got back from a walk over to the Union for a cup of coffee and copy of today's Iowa State Daily. Day three of this new adventure is going well, if a bit snowy and cold, but I must say that this is some of the prettiest snow I've seen in a while. If we're going to get dumped on, as the weather folks are predicting, at least it'll look picturesque while it's happening.

Sometimes irony isn't a strong enough word to describe what this life is like. I was walking around the union thinking, "Man, it's going to take a while to get my feet under me here." I don't know many students, faculty or staff, and in some ways it's more intimidating to be in this new campus ministry setting than it would have been in a congregation. But I digress. As I was thinking about 'getting my feet under me,' I was approaching a revolving door, where I was going to exit the Union. I stepped out the door and got distracted by the sight of ISU's lovely campus, made even lovelier with the falling snow. Gaping as I was at the beauty around me, I missed the step down from the door and nearly fell right on my ass. As it was, I spilled a good sip or two of my coffee and soaked the front page of my paper in a couple of spots.

That's the way it goes sometimes. We just don't know when life is going to surprise us by following exactly what we're thinking. But it's often funny when it does. Unless you spill your coffee - then it's just sad.

6 comments:

  1. It's really a shame to spill your coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. spilled coffee? i knew the universe was out of whack today!

    it'll happen... you've got good gifts for campus ministry - eclectic musical tastes, you love to read, ask the big questions, you're a thinker... give 'em time and they'll catch on to this new guy on the campus who has a coffee stain on his shirt er paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't spill beer. Keep it in perspective, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LP: true dat.

    HCL: thanks.

    Songbird: again, true dat.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spilling you coffee is ALMOST as sad as spilling your Moxie. Not quite, but almost.

    But I think our good friend LutherPunk definitely had it right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a model for ministry. Never mind the practical stuff. Just let it be beautiful.

    Now, a questions, is not coffee a Lutheran sacrament?! Ya gotta be careful, son.

    ReplyDelete