31 January 2008

Page 123 Tag

Thanks, Tripp!

The Rules:-
Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

I'm going to look so much smarter than reality by happy coincidence (what Tolkien would have called eucatastrophe). Here's my play:
Contempt for others makes worship dishonest and deprives it of any divine promise. Individuals as well as church communities who intend to enter God's presence with contemptuous or unreconciled hearts are playing games with an idol. As long as we withhold service and love from a sister or brother, as long as he or she remains a target of our contempt, as long as a sister or brother has something against me or Jesus' community, our offerings will remain unaccepted.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Discipleship (from which the title of this blog is taken: the German title is Nachfolge or "following after"). The only reason this was the nearest book is that I took the new Stephen King novel, Duma Key, upstairs with me last night. Discipleship then became the nearest book because it was in my backpack when we moved - everything else is still in boxes.

I tag Matt, LutherPunk, Hot Cup, Songbird and Church Nerd. Have at it, folks.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know books had that many pages. Maybe I leave the magazine and kid section a few times while visiting the library the next time. Oh the life of a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point of clarification...if the nearest book when I originally read your post was a Lutheran Book of Worship, should I go with the small-print page 123 in the front, or with the large print Hymn 123?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LH: small print 123. Duh. :-)

    Krugie - at least you have the excuse of day care. BB just WON'T read books. Troglodyte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My English choice was very scholarly... The New Interpreter's Study Bible but the German one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well then, we have from the Lutheran Book of Worship's order for Holy Baptism (and for clarification, I AM including rubrics in my sentence count):

    "I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

    Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

    I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord."

    ReplyDelete