18 February 2008

Being Useful, Missing Larry


It's amazing what a Monday afternoon like this can do - and it's amazing how rewarding it can be to a pastor, to feel like you're contributing something of value to the church through your work.

I got in at 1:30 this afternoon. Since then I've met with one student for 90 minutes to discuss a matter of deep importance - and felt like I helped clarify some issues without either a) caving on Lutheran theology or b) speaking ill of those who think differently of the matter in question. It was a wonderfully invigorating conversation - the kind of thing that led me to think about doing campus ministry in the first place, because I remember enjoying many of the same conversations with my own campus pastor, Larry Meyer.

I met with another student at 4:00, the one who spoke so honestly last week and with whom I've been patching things up. No, the situation we're working isn't resolved to our satisfaction yet, but from our end it is (a third party isn't helping as we hoped), and I think that's the far more important matter. Again, feeling good about that conversation because I didn't have to dance around the questions as I once had done.

Another student is due in a few minutes, for a personal conversation about some troubling stuff. I have an idea of what some of the issues may be, but not the specifics - again, it's rewarding to feel as though I've built a reputation as one with whom a student might speak openly and honestly (and it's back-breaking to write about this without even tipping the gender identifiers for confidentiality's sake!).

I feel as though I'm already having more of an impact here than I was in my previous call - for the simple reason that this is just a better fit for my gifts in ministry. I feel as though I'm making a difference more often and with greater depth, and that is fulfilling in a way I had somewhat forgotten. In 1942, Bonhoeffer wrote an essay to his co-conspirators Hans von Dohnanyi and Col. Hans Oster and his immediate family, entitled "After Ten Years." In it he wrote:
We have been silent witnesses of evil deeds; we have been drenched by many storms; we have learnt the arts of equivocation and pretense; experience has made us suspicious of others and kept us from being truthful and open; intolerable conflicts have worn us down and even made us cynical. Are we still of any use? What we shall need is not genuises, or cynics, or misanthropes, or clever tacticians, but plain, honest, straightforward people. Will our inward power of resistance be strong enough, and our honesty with ourselves remorseless enough, for us to find our way back to simplicity and straightforwardness?

Now, I am in no way comparing myself to the conspirators against the Nazis. But I find myself intrigued by the question, "Are we still of any use?" I wonder if some of the angst and ennui with which many of us struggle comes from this question - and with the way we must struggle against the tide of materialism, affluenza and external rewards to find the deeper reward of fulfilling vocations and lives lived with meaning and purpose.

Today, I have been "of use." I have, by the grace of God, been allowed to contribute to those I am called to serve, and I find myself thinking of Larry again and again as I get comfortable in this new call and in these new surroundings. I remember the deep sense of joy that Larry exuded when he was my pastor, and I feel it beginning to fill me as well, joy I couldn't find previously because I wasn't as useful as I'd hoped I would be. Maybe that's the true meaning of vocation, to contribute, to benefit others through your work, to be "of use;" whatever it is, I'm feeling it tonight, and Larry's absence as well. Miss ya, Herr Meyer - can't wait to sit back in the kingdom, enjoy a beer with you and tell you all about it.

8 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY of which you speak...that sense of fulfillment that comes with feeling useful in the vocation to which God has called you. I also hear ya in that sense of what's almost relief in knowing you're making a bigger difference in your current situation than you had the opportunity to elsewhere, because it's a better fit for your gifts.

    I hear ya loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so let's spill the beans shall we... i didnt have Larry as a campus pastor but i served on the NeCLM board with him. and when i was sorting out my call, i can remember standing in pouring rain at CJH with him and he laughed, and said something like, "don't worry about finding your call... it'll find you."

    it's found you my friend. and i'm sure your mentor's spirit is there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it gets tossed around quite a bit, but I think it's valid. And what that "it" is, is a quote by my main man Frederick Buechner: The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.

    I can see from your post, that there is a hunger in the students to talk about deep issues of faith. And I can feel in your writing that it fills you with deep gladness.

    You, my friend, are definitely where God has called you. That is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "don't worry about finding your call... it'll find you."

    The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.


    Two very good points. Do y'all mind if I borrow them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave - be my guest! Wish I had said them myself (actually, I'm pretty sure I have used similar words in the past because I've heard both before).

    HC - I'll bet my mom was on the NeLCM board with you - mid 90s? Email me if you want to know who she was. And yes, to answer another comment you've made, it seems that I've definitely found my place here.

    LH - having both worked with Larry, yeah, I figured you'd 'get it.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh scott - i'da started in '99 i think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like others I can say I resonate so much with your post. I know those days when I feel I have been a part of God's plan for my call (because that is not so in all days!)

    I also am new in my current call and posted a little bit about that feeling of this one being more right. I posted that and then struggled with it afterward, because I felt like what I said was down-playing my "called-ness" to my previous position. I don't believe that to be true, but coming here and being in a new situation only confirmed for me how that other call had run its course. Interesting thoughts.

    Grace and peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that God has found a better use for your talents. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete