07 March 2008

Friday Five: Signs of Hope

Sally gives us the Friday Five this week:
I believe that if we look carefully we can see signs of hope all around us.... as for signs of spring... well you tell me....

Bluebells in my garden, before the snow!

What have you seen/ heard this week that was a :

1. Sign of hope?
This is a tough one for me to answer right now. I'm essentially a hopeful person, but I've been smacked with reality several times this week. Said some things I wish I hadn't. Saw that the level of work to be done in my new call is pretty intimidating. Realized that I've entered the time in my life when I have to make my peace with the child I love (soon to be children) taking precedence over the professional opportunities that feed my soul in different ways. So, let's go with this: it was warm for a few hours on Sunday, and I spent time with an aunt and cousin I hadn't seen in years. Maybe it isn't hopeful, but it certainly did feed my soul a bit.

2. An unexpected word of light in a dark place?
From our administrator via a conversation with the regional director of campus ministry. Apparently, Admin said "I'm so glad Scott's here - things are really starting to buzz here at the Center." That was certainly a nice thing to hear.

3. A sign of spring?
Well, we haven't had much in central Iowa: we've received almost twice as much snow as a normal winter, and there's usually several inches of ice underneath it. We did have temps in the 50s F Sunday afternoon for a few glorious hours before the next storm front landed with rain, sleet and snow. But Saturday night is the beginning of Daylight Saving Time (it's SINGULAR, people), and that usually gets me in a springtime state of mind (like a New York state of mind without the Hudson River line).

4. Challenging/ surprising?
The sheer amount of renovation work that needs to happen in my new church building. While a lot has been accomplished, there are a lot of things that need fixing, and it's hard to know where to start. Well, besides asking for the money, that is.

5. Share a hope for the coming week/month/year....
Today we will go to our 20 week ultrasound and, hopefully, find out if we're having a girl or a boy. I'll be happy with either, though of course I've still got a small hope for a boy so we can have one of each. But seeing our little one and looking forward to cuddling with a newborn son or daughter in another 20 weeks or so is a real moment of hope for us - especially after watching Matt's family welcome their little girl this week.

Bonus play... a piece of music/ poem guaranteed to cheer you?
Here are a few I especially love:
"Ants Marching" by Dave Matthews Band (depressing lyrics, but this is the single most grooviest song I know, and I literally cannot hear this song without drumming along)
And a few YouTube videos of independent "hopeful" songs:

"Give Up The Ghost" by Storyhill




"Dead Horse Trampoline" by Justin Roth



"Molly O'Malley's" by Peter Mayer



So, there you go - independent music makes me smile. Here a few others you should check out:

The Wild Clover Band
Sligo Rags
The Celtic & Irish Music Podcast - see link button on my menu to the right.

And, of course, this always makes me feel better:

8 comments:

  1. Great music and from where I sit it looks like seeds are germinating and growth is exciting but challenging. I think it is better to know there are things we should re-think ( here is growth) than to think we have the world by the tail. Exciting times for you! I'm off to march with the ants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I was going to say something about your #2, until I saw the pictures. As for all the music --- well, I'll have to come back this evening when I'm at home and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear if you're having a boy or a girl!! I think you said in about "10 weeks or so", but it's more like 20wks...sorry to rain on your parade!! Don't tell Kris... It's been a long enough pregnancy already! :) Good luck!
    LH's Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost listed "Steady On" (I would have said Chris & Johnny, can't break the habit) as one of my songs.

    Best wishes on the big ultrasound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a blessing in Ames! Just know that sometimes you hear the praises and other times you will not. Just like camp right? Glad you are hearing them though. Makes a body feel good.

    Praying that all went well with the ultra sound today. Also praying for snow to melt and good times to start as well. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i hope the ultrasound was a beautiful thing today... you are where God has placed you and although it might seem intimidating God is surely at work in you and through you... God will not leave you alone to tackle everything... the right people, the right ideas, pocketbooks, it will all come Scott. Just be open to the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shalom - I almost picked "Steady On" also, but "Give Up The Ghost" is such a beautiful song I wanted to use it instead. Can't really go wrong with Chris & Johnny, though, can you?

    Krugie & HC: This post sounded a bit more pessimistic than I intended. I'm having a great, fulfilling time here and feeling very valued and energized in our new setting. But it's kind of like the first few strides of a marathon - there's a long way to go yet and some of it's going to involve some pretty heavy lifting. All will be well, and for the most part all is well, but this week just kinda hit me sideways and I'm still trying to wrap my head around things here. Sorry to make you think I was sad or unhappy - neither's the case, but thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. didn't think you sounded pessimistic, sad, unhappy or that you were throwing in the towel yadda yadda... thought you sound a bit doubtful of your abilities. to which i thought "whoa talented cyber friend... are you kidding me? are you kidding me?" that's all!

    ReplyDelete