28 March 2008

Friday "If I Had A Million Dollars" Five

I was going to embed a video of Barenaked Ladies singing their song of the same title, but Swandive beat me to the punch, and I can't find a video of Peter Mayer's hilarious song "Easy Street," so my selection of "If I Were Rich" songs is not tapped. So, all right, here we go:

Lingering effects of a cold have me watching more television than usual. There appears to be a resurgence of the old daytime staple--the quiz show. Except they are on during prime time, and a great many of them offer the chance of winning one million dollars.

I think it started with Regis Philbin and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" but now we have a half dozen or so.

My husband and I started musing (after watching "Deal or No Deal") about what we could do with a million dollars. I thought I'd just bring that discussion into the Friday Five this week. It's simple. What are five things you would want to do with a million dollar deposit in your bank account?

1. My entire family, debt free. Brothers, parents, in-laws, the whole bunch. 'Nuff said.
2. Assuming I have anything left at this point, travel. Germany for me, Ireland and Scotland for the missus and I both.
3. Oh, I just thought of this, but I'm going to put it here anyway: first, a tithe to the church. Not sure what form it would take, but 10% to God right off the bat sounds about right. Now, as to leaving it here - shows that I, like all of us, jumped right to me instead of God. I believe the phrase we Lutherans use for moments like this is incurvatus sei: the Self curved in on the Self, our bondage to sin. There you go: theology and a Friday Five all at once!
4. Okay, back to me. Here's the next bit:

For those of you who aren’t guitar nuts like me, that’s an Adamas Melissa Etheridge 12-string guitar, complete with a unidirectional carbon fiber top to provide extreme strength with very little mass for the truest enhancement of a string's vibration possible, a mid-depth cutaway body and 5-piece mahogany/maple/ebony neck with ebony fretboard and urethane oil finish to provide the ultimate in playability and projection, and an ebony bridge, gold tuners, and exotic wood epaulettes to make it visually stunning while Ovation's Original Patented Pickup and OP Pro electronics deliver stellar sound plugged in. (You can send that guitar with your answer to this week’s puzzler to: Car Talk, Harvard Square, Cambridge [Our Fair City!], MA…)

5. Finally, assuming again that I have anything left, I’d start a coffee house and just hang out. Invite the local theologians, ordained and lay, to some sort of brew and Bible group. I’d make sure it had a small stage for concerts by local artists and independent folks from the area (like my favorites the Wild Clover Band, Storyhill, Justin Roth and the like). And I’d have really, really good coffee, fairly traded, of course.

What a dream. Maybe someday, right?

12 comments:

  1. FUn answers....like the coffee shop idea....I'd come hang out often

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, just love that guitar.... seriously...

    Great play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean really - how can you say million dollars without the Barenaked Lad's just poppin in? That is one suh-weeet guitar and I'd come and be your number 1 barista any ol time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to come to your coffeehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grinning at your theological #3, loving the guitar, and really liking the idea of the coffee shop where we can hang out and talk theology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the guitar! Whoo-hoo!

    BTW, Scott, do any of your fantasy coffeehouse performers have MySpace or Facebook pages, or websites? Our church is setting up pages on both websites (which is to say Fellow Traveler and I are doing it), as an outreach ministry to under-30s (anywhere) and I need some cool peeps/links to add to our Friends lists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coffee and guitars. I see some real possibilities brewing here. (no pun intended....doh!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. geetars it is then! and coffee house... mmm? sounds like a theogolical version of "cheers"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the coffee house idea. I want to start a coffee house/shop when I retire and simply call it "eclectic". I'd only sell stuff I like. No coconut macaroons. No scented candles. Great books and music and folk art and fun stuff, and deep cushy chairs and cosy meeting rooms...it's a long way off. Can I just share your dream? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And until that fantasy ship comes in, I guess we'll both be living in Low Budget land.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Met my last boyfriend at the Christian coffeehouse. I intend to meet my next one before you win your million$

    ReplyDelete
  12. EXCELLENT guitar choice! I didn't even get to music...

    My post started with memories of BNL, too. Still one of my all-time favorite road trip songs.

    ReplyDelete