22 March 2008

Hospitality

I get The Writer's Almanac in email from American Public Media every day (you should, too - it's got great stuff on a regular basis). Today is poet Billy Collins birthday, and Garrison Keillor celebrated the day with this quote from Mr. Collins:

"Usually I try to create a hospitable tone at the beginning of a poem. Stepping from the title to the first lines is like stepping into a canoe. A lot of things can go wrong."

While this is very true of poetry, the thought occurred to me that it's also very, very true of our work as evangelists and hosts within the church. I don't think those of us who've been raised in the church and are familiar with life in the church know how unbelievably bewildering it can be to those who are coming to a faith community for the first time. Climbing into a canoe is a learned skill: once you've mastered it, it's no problem, but until you've been doing it for a while, it can be terribly difficult to feel comfortable climbing in.

Here's a thought for us: why not take away some of the anxiety by teaching what we do and why we do it in much more open ways? More explanation than is necessary is hardly ever a bad thing - who knows, maybe we'll remember how to keep this ship that is the body of Christ a little more steady as well.

Just thinkin - have a good one.

Peace,
Scott

3 comments:

  1. In that regard, one of the best things the Lutheran Student Center in Lincoln did with worship was print explanations of all of the different parts of worship right in the margin of the bulletin each Sunday. Even for those who have used LBW Setting 1 and 2 every Sunday since 1978, it's always good to be reminded (or taught!) WHY we do what we do.

    Wish Beloved and your beautiful little girl a happy Easter from the LH household!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying for awhile and I can't figure it out so I'm begging for help - how do I sign up for the emails? I can find the site and download the audio, but I really want the email. Can you give me some tips via my blog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalom - on the menu at the top right of the Writer's Almanac homepage, click on "Newsletters" and you'll get signed up for all kinds of APM stuff, including Writer's Almanac and Speaking of Faith, two of my favorites. If that doesn't work, try me again and maybe I can walk you through it in a chat room or something.

    ReplyDelete