13 April 2008

Sunday Morning

Coffee's hot - I've read the paper. Was going to put together a manuscript for the morning's sermon but thought better of it. Today I'm about knowing "To which voice are we listening?", and I'm going to try to listen more than talk at folks this morning. Got a fun little exercise put together to start it off: a CD with a dozen or so "voices" from pop culture - Darth Vader, Homer Simpson, etc. Who knows which voice? How do we know the voice of Jesus when it speaks and calls us? It's about holy conversation today, I think - thus all week I've been thwarted every time I've sat down to write a manuscript. Could it be that sometimes, when you've been faithful and the words still don't come, it's a sign that this is not a "preaching at you" kind of week? I dunno, but it feels right for today, so I'm going to run with it.

Spent all day yesterday out and about. Drove to Cedar Rapids for our Iowa Lutheran Campus Ministry Committee meeting, which was fun. As I was heading out of town at 7:00 I thought to myself, "this is why campus ministers work too much - so much of what I do is really enjoyable!" Almost five hours behind the wheel was a good "check-out" time for me; listening to a book on the iPod and just driving is almost meditative, even when the book in question is an almost-bodice-ripper like World Without End (seriously, I could do with less descriptive "sex among the peasants" and more plot, please!) Upon returning, Kristin and I got dolled up for a night on the town. We went out to eat (Panchero's for burritos and Cold Stone - YUM) and then took in the play Doubt: A Parable at Actors Community Theatre here in Ames. Following the performance I moderated a discussion between cast and audience, which was great fun and a neat opportunity to introduce myself to the local theatre group. You just might see me in a production next summer, assuming we can emerge from the mountains of diapers we'll have changed by then.

So, that's the Sunday morning story. Blessings to all as you preach, hear the gospel, receive the Sacrament and worship together in God's name.

Peace,
Scott

1 comment:

  1. what a fun weekend! the cd for worship this morning is a very clever idea!! i'm far more 'teachery' in the pulpit today i fear... but who knows when i rehearsed it last night i sounded like reese witherspoon in sweet home alabama. we'll see how southern the morning is...

    ReplyDelete