02 May 2008

Friday Five: Waiting

From Sally at RevGalBlogPals:

Part of the Ascension Day Scripture from Acts 11 contains this promise from
Jesus; "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and
you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends
of the earth.”
Then he was taken from their sight into the clouds, two
angels appeared and instructed the probably bewildered disciples to go back to
Jerusalem, where they began to wait and to pray for the gift Jesus had promised.
Prayer is a joy to some of us, and a chore to others, waiting likewise can
be filled with anticipation or anxiety....So how do you wait and pray?

1. How do you pray best, alone or with others?
Alone. As a pastor, of course, I do a lot of praying with others, but when it comes to prayer for just me and God, I feel most connected, most ‘in conversation’ when it’s just me and God. But I’ve been struggling with prayer lately, so perhaps I should be seeking out others with whom I can pray.
2. Do you enjoy the discipline of waiting, is it a time of anticipation or anxiety?
I. DESPISE. WAITING. Hate it hate it hate it. I’m not anxious, necessarily – I just want what I want NOW, which explains our terrible credit card debt, the lovely 2007 VW Jetta that I love and can’t afford (and can’t sell at the moment – anyone need a great German car?), and many, many other problems.
3. Is there a time when you have waited upon God for a specific promise?
Yes – in the healing time after my divorce. I knew that in time I’d be able to get through a day without thinking of and dwelling on the divorce, and that I just needed to trust and wait until it happened. Eventually, it did. In his video about forgiveness, Rob Bell says that true forgiveness is when you start wishing your enemy health and wellness and joy – thanks to waiting for God to help me forgive, I know how that works, and agree with him wholeheartedly.
4. Do you prefer stillness or action?
Oh, action, definitely. Why wait when you can do something? (Even if the something in question won’t help at all, at least you’re doing something!). Case in point: I’ve been known to take non-freeway routes to destinations in major cities to avoid sitting still in rush hour traffic. I don’t care if it actually takes longer and means more miles; if I can avoid sitting behind the wheel doing nothing, I’ll go farther and longer just to keep moving forward.
5. If ( and this is slightly tongue in cheek) you were promised one gift spiritual or otherwise what would you choose to recieve?
Patience, without a doubt. I just don’t have much of it at all. And I’d like it now, please. :-)

12 comments:

  1. Here you go scott. I left you a blog stone (o) to let you know that god_guurrlll was here.

    I can relate to your processing your divorce. Several years ago I went through a very painful divorce and I wanted to be over it quickly but grief goes at it's own rate. Lifting you up in prayer.

    Peace and love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally!!!
    And I resonate with #3, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about the connection between healing and waiting, but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing it out, it's helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can emapthise with your waiting problems- I wonder if this is simply endemic to the CreditCard generation?

    as for healing and waiting, I believe you have a good point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, I feel that on number 2. But the driving around just to avoid traffic? hmm..I don't know about that one! I think I usually leave earlier/later to avoid it instead. But then again, I don't really like driving that much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail on the head with #3. Thank you for a wonderful post, and I am sorry I am so late. Sheesh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One fewer comment you need to wait for!

    One of my struggles with waiting for God was when an older relative of mine fell into severe mental illness that ultimately required that I become her guardian and have her involuntarily hospitalized. It made me very angry at God for not "doing something" to prevent what was really a huge family trauma, and for making me responsible for her care. I didn't have a grace-full response to the situation at all. It took several years for me to reach a state of peace about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my friend... waiting is active! stuff happens, germinates, begins to grow. waiting is that fertile-ground time. except of course when it's just rush hour and that's purely annoying! have a great time in NE...

    and uhm no i don't think a VW would do well on gravel...muddy, rutted, gravel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally share your sentiments on #3.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another impatient pastor, I see. :-P And I'm also grinning at the Mark Twain quote up above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waiting on healing! That is often the place we are least willing to wait: physical, spiritual, emotional. All in its own time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved your answers! waiting simply sucks 98% of the time. i'm an immediate gratification kind of girl myself.

    ReplyDelete