17 June 2008

Last Long Run and iPod shuffle


Okay, well, 5 miles isn't exactly a long run when you're planning to run 26.2 in four days, but this was the last run of significance before the big day on Saturday. It's been GO - HO - HO - HORGEOUS in Ames over the last few days, and today was no exception. 80 and sunny with just a touch of breeze to keep the sweat off while I ran - you really can't ask for much better in a late afternoon run.

[EDIT FROM THIS MORNING] I nearly forgot what caused me to think about blogging this run. As I was about a mile into it, I think I might have met an NCAA All-American on his own afternoon run. Hillary Bor placed fourth in the Men's Steeplechase last Friday, and that's him pictured above, flying over the steeplechase hurdle. As I was running, I met a thin African-American runner who was gliding far too effortlessly up 13th Street to be anything but a collegiate runner. It was beautiful to watch him stream towards me, and I turned around & watched for just a second or two after we met. Long, graceful strides and not a grimace of pain on his face. To run like that would be a dream indeed. [end of the addition]

While I am a supporter of iPod bans on race courses, I do enjoy listening to my music while I train. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that runners who need iPods to survive a race should question why they're running in the first place. You might disagree - fine. But it's my blog. :-) Anyway, here's the random run shuffle for today:

1. "Beautiful Day" by U2 - okay, that wasn't random - I usually kick off a run with it, and I listen to it last thing before checking in my bag at the start. Is there a better song for lifting your spirits?
2. "Long Journey Home" by the Chieftains with Jackson Browne
3. "Travelin' Band" by Creedence Clearwater Revival - "737 comin' out of the sky, oh won't you take me down to Memphis on a midnight ride": that was nice
4. "Our Love Is Here To Stay" by Harry Connick, Jr.
5. "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young
6. "A Blessing And A Curse" by Harry Connick, Jr.
7. "The Planets, Op. 32: Mercury, the Winged Messenger" by Gustav Holst, performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra - interesting that I should get Mercury, fleet of foot, while I'm running. Does Apple know something I don't?
8. "Under the Weather" by KT Tunstall
9. "Once" by Pearl Jam - My buddy Aaron will like that I've got this album on the iPod.
10. "I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say / Blarney Pilgrim" by Michael Card
11. "I'll Fly Away" by Alison Krauss and Gilian Welch
12. "Astronaut Dreams" by Peter Mayer
13. "Dare You To Move" by Switchfoot - another "is my iPod tuning into me?" song...
14. "Reconsider Baby" by Eric Clapton - from one of my favorite albums, "From the Cradle"
15. "I Can't Get Started" by Dizzy Gillespie
16. "Gloria: Allegro Vivace" by John Rutter - this to end my run? Are you kidding? AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Saturday - we'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete