17 June 2008

The Reading Report

For the past month, I've been trying to get into Quicksilver, a book by Neal Stephenson, which comes highly recommended from others. A few years ago, a friend gave me paperback copies of Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, cyberpunk novels I really enjoyed, so I figured that Stephenson's writing style combined with Baroque age historical fiction would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it's not so much fun at the moment.

I'm not sure why I'm not getting into the book at the moment. I can tell from reading it that I should enjoy this novel. The writing is crisp, the story compelling and the characters well-drawn. But I'm afraid that I'm 'just not that into' this book. After several nights of debating whether I wanted this or something else, I decided to give in and let the thing go. It happens sometimes.

One thing I do wonder is whether the attention-grabbing nature of parenting a toddler is preventing me investing the mental space necessary to enjoy a demanding novel like Quicksilver. I had a similar experience with Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell not so long ago, but this was before children and I was able to slog through a book that, in the end, was thoroughly enjoyable. So here's hoping that in a few years, I'll be able to come back and really enjoy a book that, for all my struggles, seems really enjoyable.

Until then, my Stephen King kick continues. Every now and again I feel the urge to break out some old favorites from the bookshelf and enjoy them all over again. Last week it was Dreamcatcher. Currently it's Cell. The difference between SK and other authors who've not captured my attention lately is mainly plot and characterization: King's got the ability to create compelling, sympathetic characters (which I've always claimed is his primary strength as a writer) AND keep the plot rolling along. I just don't have to work to enjoy Stephen King, and at the moment, that's a good thing.

I've finally settled into a good rhythm for morning devotional reading, too. The alarm goes off at 5:00, and by 5:10 I've settled into my chair with a cup of coffee and two books: Bread for the Day, an Augsburg Fortress book of prayers and readings from our new daily lectionary, and something a bit more theologically demanding. Currently it's Ethics by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. After this I'm going to find someone other than Bonhoeffer for a while: thankfully, I've got shelves of unread books in my office that will do.

The most enjoyable 'reading' I'm doing at the moment, however, is in the car. Orson Scott Card is, in my opinion, one of the best American writers of the last 30 years, in any genre. The Ender Quartet is an ethical journey that just happens to be set in the genre of science fiction. I'm currently listening to Children of the Mind from our local library, and even though this is at least my third time through the series, it's as enjoyable now as it was the first time. If you've never tried science fiction, you should give Ender's Game a shot - I'm willing to bet you'll at least last through the first, and it's probable that you'll be hooked for the series.

So, that's the reading update for this month. At the end of the month I'll post my 'list' for the year. Currently I've completed 22 books through various means (CD, iPod, and "good ol' reading"), the question is, will I get to 50 or not this year? Bleak House might have put that in jeopardy, taking nearly the first 90 days of the year, but only time will tell. As you were.

1 comment:

  1. I think maybe it was just Jonathan Strange--it took me forever to get through that one too! Not a bad book, but there was just something about it. . . and it wasn't necessarily the story. She has another book out now and I'm really hesitant to pick it up for that reason.

    ReplyDelete