19 January 2009

Chock Full of History

It’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – which for our students means a day off, but for me, means a day to think on the changes we’re seeing this week. I’ve noted more than once this week that I would be happy to live to see a day when the election of an African-American, or a woman, or a Latino, or whatever non-white male as President would be commonplace, so unremarkable that it generates no commentary whatsoever. Because, if I should live to see such a day, it would mean that the person elected to that office would be elected strictly for the quality of their leadership, for the passion they invoke in those who support them, for the integrity and honor with which they approach such a public trust. I think it is these qualities that drove Barack Obama to victory in November, and I look forward to the day when, in the words of the late Dr. King, all people shall be judged "by the content of their character.” To dream those dreams is the birthright of every American citizen, and tomorrow we commemorate another step towards the fulfillment of those dreams for all people; and, I pray, we take a step toward the rebuilding of our relationships with the world as well.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that.
    We watched Martin Luther King's speech on CNN today at noon, and I welled up at the "content of their character." That is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete