04 September 2009

Friday Five: CHARGE!!!!!


Haven't done a Friday Five for a while, and I've got a few extra minutes this morning. Thanks to Sally for the post at RevGals:

A few weeks ago my lap-top battery died, suddenly I found myself looking at a blank screen and was rather relieved to find that it was only the battery and not the whole computer that had failed. This morning a new battery arrived in the post, and suddenly I am mobile again!

After a week with what feels like wall to wall meetings, and Synod looming on the horizon for tomorrow I find myself pondering my own need to recharge my batteries. This afternoon Tim and I are setting off to explore the countryside around our new home, I always find that walking in the fresh air away from phones and e-mails recharges me. But that is not the only thing that restores my soul, so do some people, books, pieces of music etc....

So I wonder what/ who gives you energy?

1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low?
Beloved, of course. We try really hard to be supportive of each other in our work and in our parenting. When we went through PREPARE/ENRICH prior to our wedding, we took the practice of daily compliments to heart, and we try to find ways to give each other a positive nudge at least once a day. Sometimes it's as simple as "You're a really good parent/spouse," but even that, if it's sincere, can do a lot.

2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you?
I struggled answering this question. I don't think in terms of invigoration/relaxation when it comes to music, at least, not very often. I do have favorites, including U2, Green Day, Dave Matthews Band, Storyhill, Peter Mayer (both of them), PFR, and lots of Irish music, but I tend to pick stuff based on what I'd like to hear, not on the mood I'm seeking.

One piece that always does touch me emotionally is Symphony No. 4 by David Maslanka. Maslanka is a wind ensemble composer who wrote Symphony No 4 with the landscape of Montana, the hymn tune Old 100th, and the death of Abraham Lincoln in mind. It's a 30 minute piece filled with a kaleidoscope of tones and styles, with an immense instrumentation. Oddly enough, while searching for files of this piece on YouTube, I discovered a clip from the University of Nebraska Wind Ensemble, which is the group in which I first discovered Maslanka 15 years earlier. It's long, but you might hear enough to pique your interest.



3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope?
Romans 8 is my "go-to" scripture. "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separated us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Yep - refreshed and recharged. Thanks, Paul.

4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside?
Fireside, with a good book and a hot cup of coffee. The walk can come in the morning so long as it doesn't interrupt good reading time.

5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging, write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....
I'm getting refreshed as we speak. Our family has been sick with HFM disease this week, everyone but me, but we're apparently all on the mend today, so I'm at the office catching up with students, preaching and other fun ministry items. So a prayer of thanks for health and recovery is in order for us today. Thanks be to God!

Grace & peace,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment