24 April 2011

Sermon for Easter Evening - "Ever Walk With Me, Lord."


On the third day, after he’d risen from the dead, Jesus…took a walk. 

At least, that’s what the gospel of Luke tells us.  He took a walk with two of his lesser known disciples, so minor they aren’t numbered among the 12 apostles.  Oh, yes, he appeared to Simon and the apostles, too, but later; before any of that, Jesus took a walk with two of his friends. 

Easter can be a strange holiday at times.  After a season of stark, penitential Lent, all dressed in purple and somber and sacrificial, we break out the alleluias, deck the halls with easter lilies, show off our finest new clothes and celebrate loudly and vigorously.  A friend of mine said, after he came home from worship, “Nothing says ‘Easter’ like a pipe organ turned up to 11.”  He’s right; it’s wonderful to sing loudly and celebrate the day in which death was defeated and all of heaven rejoiced to see the risen Christ Jesus.  We should celebrate.  And yet…



This is good storytelling.  Jesus rises from the dead and looks as though he’s ready to kick some ass.  “You thought you could keep him down, Death, but oh, no – not MY Jesus.  Do you hear those drums?  Do you see that glint in his eye?  Things are gonna be DIFFERENT from now on!”

Only it wasn’t.  Not for the vast, overwhelming majority of the people back then.  At that precise moment in history, nothing changed.  People got up, made coffee, went to work.  If it had been Hollywood, maybe Jesus would have exploded out of the tomb to the middle of Jerusalem, where he would have displayed his awesomeness once and for all, but that didn’t happen.  The Resurrection didn’t come with a drum track.  There were no swelling violins to announce that the Savior was risen.  Nobody played in any brass choirs when the stone was rolled away from the tomb.  It was quiet.  It was Sunday morning.  Jesus took a walk.

Tell me:  is it possible the loud organs and boisterous singing are an attempt on our part to overcome the fact that when the Resurrection actually happened, no one noticed?  Two thousand years later, are we still trying to make up for missing the moment the first time around? 

The gospel of Luke tells us that Jesus took a walk with two of his friends.  When they first met him, they looked sad.  But for seven miles they listened to an unknown stranger interpret the days and times to them, to teach them what it meant to be in the presence of the Messiah, to be children of God.  Seven miles learning what it meant to be disciples, followers of the living God.  No trumpets – no organ fanfares – no easter lilies.  Just sandals, a path, and a conversation.  This, in Luke’s Gospel, is how the Resurrection happens. 

We will sing our songs tonight, and as much as we’re able, we’ll be loud.  But Resurrection life isn’t all fanfares and hosannas.  Resurrection life is a walk after Jesus.  Resurrection life is sometimes sandals, a path, and a conversation: in our time we could say shoes, a road, and prayer.  The ancient Hebrews called the way of holiness the Halakh, or “The Walk.”  The earliest Christians weren’t called Christians at all – they were called followers of “The Way.”  You are walking this life – sometimes, our prayer must be that Jesus will walk it with us, and show us the way.

Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord

How can I come before You?
What worthy gift could I bring?
What glorious feast could I offer?
What songs of majesty sing?
Lift this heart of sadness into gladness by Your peace
Before I can come before You, You come to me

Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord

In my work I grow weary
Lost on this road of desires
Where is the path that leads homeward?
To bring me back to Your fire
Lift these eyes of sadness into gladness at Your peace
I am lost and weary, come shepherd me

Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord

A million voices surround me
How can I hear when You call?
When at last grace has found me
Will I recognize it at all?
Lift this song of sadness into gladness at Your feast
To hear Your voice is calling, come walk with me

Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord 


Resurrection - Easter - is about so much more than fanfares and lilies.  Jesus has won the victory over death and destruction, but the Risen Christ also walks the dusty roads with us between now and then.  As our fanfares fade - as our alleluias die away - Resurrection life continues down every road you walk.  Your shoes - your path - your prayers - Jesus is God with you every mile, now and forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment