04 September 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

No, I don't mean chesnuts roasting on an open fire or anything silly like that. I mean it's the start of the college football season and that just ROCKS.

I was an absolute glutton on Saturday. Up at 6 to get my run in before GameDay started. Made eggs & biscuits because I can't get to a Burger King for my normal game day meal (don't ask). GameDay started at 9am. Then it was Michigan-Vandy and the rest of the day in front of the tube watching young men beat the crap out of each other all day, right up until the end of the Oklahoma-UAB game. Woulda stayed up for the end of Georgia Tech-Notre Dame, but since yesterday was my one day to work this week, I figured I'd better be well rested. :-)

Of course, the highlight of the day was watching my beloved Huskers play Louisiana Tech and win 49-10. A good game, especially considering it's week 1 and year 3 of the Mid-West Coast revolution in Lincoln. Zac Taylor is an absolute stud - great arm, great poise, he even scrambled for positive yardage at one point. RB by committee might be a definite advantage against USC in two weeks, provided we have the same kind of offensive balance that we did Saturday. Defense needs some work; pass rush wasn't great, and we're down to duct tape & baling wire in the secondary. "My kingdom for a shut-down cornerback!"

We also got our Quack on for the Ducks - nice to see Oregon open their Pac-10 schedule with a win. Hopefully we'll be able to catch the Oregon-OU game in two weeks also. We won't be watching much FB this weekend, as I'm limping through the Dick Beardsley Half Marathon in Detroit Lakes. More on that later.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE college football - the next four months are like Christmas every weekend for me. Woo-hoo!

3 comments:

  1. DITTO!!! Kinda sucks to be getting the Pac-10 match-ups on ABC, as opposed to Big 12. I don't know if I will want to fill my Saturdays with watching football or the likes of our beautiful outdoors...I'll probably invest more time in the Thursday night games, which are afternoon games here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGG REDDDDDDDDDD!!!! And did you see that CU lost this week...bad! Football season is certainly a wonderful time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to pretty much everything you said. I prefer a home cooked breakfast of bacon, french toast, and more bacon though.

    ReplyDelete