09 March 2007

Friday Five: Matters of Taste

My mother loved figs.

I only like them in a Newton.

It's all a matter of taste.

Name five things you like a lot that some close relative or significant other did/does not like. This could be food, movies, hobbies, music, sports or whatever springs to mind.

Wow - this one will be fun!
1. The Statler Brothers. My brother and I both share this taste difference with our spouses. Granted, we grew up with parents who also loved the Statler Brothers, but hey, it's still great music! When we were young (me around 6, Brian around 4) we went to a Statler Brothers concert at the Nebraska State Fair. Apparently we were the remote feed for our nosebleed section seats; my mother says we stood on our benches and sang every song, word for word, with Harold, Phil, Don & Lew. In a moment of great schadenfreude last year, I gave my brother a cd 0f Statler Brothers tunes I downloaded from iTunes. For his car ride back home. A six-hour ride. With his Statler Brothers-hating wife. Ahhh - good times...

2. Moxie
This one is a bit of a reverse from the suggested format. My good friend LutheranHusker loves the stuff - I can't stand it. Read his blogging about Moxie here.

3. Reading I was the kid from whom teachers reluctantly removed books because I would read instead of doing math/social studies/etc. I've always been a voracious reader, and to this day I can't go to sleep without reading unless I'm absolutely wiped out. Beloved, however, isn't a reader. Matter of fact, she's severely dyslexic, so reading is a chore for her. It's been interesting living with someone who has no idea how I can be happy with a book, a cup of coffee and a free afternoon.

4. "The Mask" I've always liked this movie. I think it's a fun little flick that plays right into Jim Carrey's physical comedy skills without going completely over the top (i.e. Ace Ventura or Me, Myself & Irene). Cameron Diaz is, well, pretty easy on the eyes, too. But my ex-wife hated this movie, and I've yet to meet anyone who enjoys it as much as I do.

5. Comedians.
Exhibit A: George Carlin. I love George Carlin. I think he's a brilliant social commentator in addition to being pretty freakin' funny. My dad thinks he's the worst comedian ever. If I ever want to make him grimace, all I have to do is say, "Hippy-dippy Weather Man." It's awesome.
Exhibit B: Gallagher. I don't get Gallagher. I suppose this one doesn't count because I don't know anyone who does, but the guy's still selling tickets, so someone must think he's funny, right?
Exhibit C: Richard Pryor. I don't get Richard Pryor, either, but I know folks who do.
Exhibit D: Garrison Keillor. LutheranHusker & I love A Prairie Home Companion. Beloved is indifferent, while Sweetie (LutheranHusker's better half) can't stand a second of it. Maybe it's because she grew up Missouri Synod? They don't have much of a sense of humor, you know. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Your comments on reading reminded me of being yelled at in first grade -- when the prime directive in class was, one would think, to teach children how to read -- for reading too much. Fortunately, I didn't listen to the teacher. (Having already learned the value of questioning authority!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen - I think a goodly percentage of the stuff I've learned over the years has come from my own reading. Somehow, assigned reading grated on me, even when it was stuff I could enjoy. Bizarre, no doubt, but that's just the way God wired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and my spouse would get along fine...except for the reading gig--which is where I'd step in...

    Loving the AJ pics...she's a cutie!
    peace out-QP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, my husband and some old friends always drank Moxie at midnight on New Year's Eve, with the idea that nothing worse could happen to them all year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Statler brothers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good play! I wonder... would your wife enjoy audiobooks? I started listening to CD-books in my car last fall, and I'm hooked. It's interesting, because of the three major learning skills, I'm the weakest at auditory. I think listening to books is helping me hone that some. I also usually read so fast that I often miss some of the most beautiful details that the author puts in, but in the slower pace of an audiobook, I get a lot more of those.

    My hubster doesn't understand why I enjoy Garrison Keillor so much either. Go figure! :-)

    ReplyDelete