15 December 2006

Yuletide Friday Five



For this mid-December Friday Five, let's explore some Yuletide favorites.

1) It's a Wonderful Life--Is it? Do you remember seeing it for the first time?
I'm sure I will - when I finally do see the whole thing. I've never watched this movie from beginning to end; I've only seen the last scene, and that only once.

2) Miracle on 34th Street--old version or new?
Again, having only seen the new version, I'd have to go with "new." But apparently we were so busy having Swedish & German Christmas celebrations as kids that we missed much of the "American" experience. I did, however, see Rudolph and Frosty and Charlie Brown numerous times.

3) Do you have a favorite incarnation of Mr. Scrooge?
Ahhh - great question. Lately Patrick Stewart has been my favorite. George C. Scott was also great, although Scro
oge really should be close to emaciated, right? Michael Caine is a great actor, but the Muppet version was just too nice for my taste - "A Christmas Carol" is not a happy story until the very end.

4) Why should it be a problem for an elf to be a dentist? I've been watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for years now, and I still don't get it.
It's called a plot device - without it Hermie has no motivation for leaving Santa's shop. English majors, can I get an "Amen?"

5) Who's the scariest character in Christmas specials/movies?
* The Bumble
* The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, Muppet Version
* That Mean Magician Who Tries to Melt Frosty
* Your Nomination
My Nomination: Santa from "A Nightmare Before Christmas." Those eyes just creep me out, man.

5 comments:

  1. I've managed to avoid The Nightmare Before Christmas, but perhaps I should broaden my cultural attainments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED the 'plot device' to pieces...

    :)

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was one creepy Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. George C. Scott is on my favorite Scrooge. When was Patrick Stewart Scrooge? I don't think I've seen that one, and he's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick Steward did "A Christmas Carol" for TNT a few years back, I think. You can find it on DVD - we rented it last year and I just loved it. He's just a great actor.

    ReplyDelete