21 December 2006

It's the Most Awfullest Time of the Year...

Just a quick post about life in Minnesota right now: IT BITES. According to Paul Douglas, the weather columnist for the Star Tribune, this year marks the latest date with less than one inch of snow on record. Everything is brown, the lakes are barely frozen and no one has the energy to do anything around here. Christmas parties are flopping right and left and we collectively have one last frayed nerve remaining. I'm sure some Minnesotans saw the news of all the people stranded at Denver International Airport and got angry because at least THEY have snow.

I'm not a native Minnesotan, but I've lived here long enough (seven years? how is that possible?) to love winter. I don't snowmobile or ice-fish, and I can barely ski, but being outdoors when there's snow on the ground is a magical thing nonetheless. Without snow, lots of my congregants are growing tired, ill-tempered and decidedly un-merry, and I'm afraid I'm joining them. Everyone says "what wonderful weather we're having," but I don't believe a word of it.

So, that's life in Minnesota right now: brown. Yuk.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    I stumbled on your blog through LutherPunk. Nice to see you out here.

    I don't even like snow and winter weather, but I agree that this brown dead stuff is really depressing. Can we at least get two weeks of snow. Then we can go back to our semi-summer-type weather.

    I'll drive north for Christmas. That should help the snow situation.

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be thankful that you didn't have the ice storm we just went through--that same storm that dumped snow in Denver dumped ice here. We lost several huge branches in our backyard; it looks like someone dropped a bomb--they literally cover the backyard. Email Aaron for the YouTube link to the insurance videos!

    I'd take some of that "wonderful" weather--but then, you always did like the cold better than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there were some magical way for me to share the snow that has fallen here, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

    I'll probably put something about it up on my blog today.

    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I probably should have stated more clearly that no one wants any weather that actually endangers peoples' lives. Just wish God would spread the wealth a bit, you know? It's brown and depressing here and unlike Denver shoveling out from under and Kearney trying to melt out from under, we're struggling with a whole different set of issues. No comparison, obviously - I'm thankful no one around here has died from the weather. Hope the same can be said for those in the blizzard at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's your chance to snag some of that snow...LOL

    http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=d14acf34-0abe-421a-0141-4bb051d855bc&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

    ~dana

    ReplyDelete