04 December 2006

100 books No. 60


Anansi Boys is a wonderfully entertaining novel set in the universe Gaiman created in American Gods, though the connection is only through common characters, not a shared plot or anything like that. Gaiman's writing is, as always, sharp, witty and fresh - nothing feels cliched or even mundane in his rich, humourous writing.

The plot will be obvious, so no need to summarize here. What really charmed me was the audio version I downloaded. Lenny Henry is an incredible vocal talent: in a cast that required fully a dozen separate voices, Henry was always spot on in his inflections and accents and brought an already engaging story even more to life. 5 stars for the novel, 5 stars for the audio version.

1 comment:

  1. I see you're currently reading Eragon. I've read it twice (once on my own and once with my book club). It's not too bad; I just hope they don't destroy it with the movie!

    ReplyDelete