15 March 2007

"How I Met Your Mother" Quote of the Week...

Barney: "There are two steps to running a marathon. Step 1: Start running. Step 2: ... there is no step 2."

Besides being a great comedy, this quote from How I Met Your Mother is, well, technically correct. For all the shoes, gear, nutrition and other issues dedicated runners juggle, the sport itself is really quite simple. Start running. That's it.

I was reminded of this last night when Sweetie, LH's better half, emailed me, worried that I wouldn't be able to run the Lincoln Marathon due to my knees, which are on notice. I reassured her that yes, I was still planning to run (I've already registered, actually, so if I don't run I waste the $50). No, I probably won't meet my goal time of four hours or less, due to the complete lack of good sleep AJ is forcing on us. But Beloved told me the other night that I'll have so much fun hanging out with old friends and visiting old haunts that it won't matter how well I run. And do you know what? She's probably right.

So, I'll start running. 26.2 miles later, I'll stop. And it'll all be okay. Boston can wait, right?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the Post-Lincoln Marathon corollary to your quote:

    "There are two steps to drinking a pint of the finely-brewed beer of your choice. Step 1: Start drinking. Step 2: There is no Step 2."

    Okay, maybe Step 2 is "order another pint."

    Glad to hear you AND your on-notice knees will be coming down no matter what. Looking forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete